Wow, can you believe it’s already June?! This year is flying by, and your local Democratic Party has a lot going on over the coming weeks!
Below, you’ll find updates from the Democratic Central Committee, Democratic Club, and I Am St. Mary’s. There’s also some great information about upcoming events, ways to get involved and more!
At the May meeting, the Central Committee voted to approve the amended by-laws. The amendment added language to reflect the inclusion of non-binary individuals. Now, the DCC will be comprised of male, female, and non-binary members who win a majority of votes. Gender balancing is still required to provide equal opportunity to all. For more information on this change, please email [email protected].
Members of the DCC attended the State Committee meeting on May 22nd to receive updates from the state party and vote on changes to the by-laws at the state level. To learn more, contact [email protected].
St. Mary’s County Democrats unveiled its new logo as part of the general rebranding to be in line with the Skipjack Current newsletter and our biggest fundraiser, the Skipjack Gala.
We’re looking for new volunteers to join the DCC. If you’ve ever wondered what our local party does, or have been looking for a way to make a difference, this is a great opportunity for you! If interested in joining, please email your resume to us at [email protected].
The next primary is in June 2022! We're actively recruiting candidates now. Positions on the ballot include State Senator, State Delegate, County Commissioner, and more. If you are interested in running, please email [email protected].
- Yoga & Wine Tasting at the Port of Leonardtown Winery on Saturday, June 26th from 9-11AM. Sona Hussian of Evolve Yoga will lead a yoga class for part of the event. We’ll have a wine tasting of some excellent wine from Port of Leonardtown along with breakfast refreshments from Doo Dah Deli! Tickets are $30 a person. To purchase tickets, click HERE. We hope you’ll join us for our first in-person event this year!
- The next meeting of the DCC will be Wednesday, June 16th at 6PM. If you’re interested in attending, please email [email protected].
The Democratic Club has decided to start a canvassing listening tour in June. We’re interested in hearing from our friends and neighbors about what is important to them, what they think the local party should focus on, and more! To get involved, please contact Roderick Lewis at [email protected].
We’re also looking for volunteers interested in helping accomplish the goals of the Democratic Central Committee’s subcommittees. Members of the Democratic Club work in conjunction with the DCC to staff the subcommittees, but the more the merrier! For more information on the sub-committees, what they do, and how to join, click HERE.
The St. Mary’s County Fair is happening this year, and it’s only 3 months away! Our Planning Committee for the Fair is just beginning to form, so we’re also looking for volunteers who can help with organization, planning, and staffing the booth over the four day event. To volunteer for the Fair Planning Committee, email Julia Nichols at [email protected].
Finally, the Democratic Club is working to set up a process for members to pay their dues online. This will be complete soon, so watch your emails for this update!
- June 21st - Our June meeting will be held at 7PM, with guest Delegate Brian Crosby who will give a 2021 Legislative Update. Also, watch for an email about the proposed by-laws change for the Club which will be discussed at the June meeting. If you’d like to attend, please email [email protected].
- Sneak Preview of our August meeting: Guest Peter Franchot, candidate for Governor!
I Am St. Mary’s held our last general meeting on May 26th. Discussed during the meeting were the following topics:
- For information about voter registration volunteer training, or to upgrade your certification, email Alexis Schaefer at [email protected].
- The Democratic Women’s Community Service group has been forming plans to participate in the NAACP’s Back to School Fair on August 14th at Lancaster Park. Donations and help are needed to support the fair. (For more on this event, please see below).
- A presentation was given on 2020 election data. For more information, email [email protected].
- Caroline King presented the DCC’s organization, as well as projects for #FutureStMarys. Any Democratic women who may be interested in learning about running for local elected office should contact the Chair of the DCC’s Candidate’s Committee, Heather Earhart, at [email protected].
The next meeting of I Am St. Mary’s will be Wednesday, August 18th. All Democratic women of St. Mary’s County are invited. For more information on the group, contact [email protected].
St. Mary’s County Democrats are already preparing for the 2022 election. The primary is just one year away, so there’s no time to lose! If you followed the way the County Commissioners mismanaged a roller coaster of a budget process this year, you know the time is now to make sure Democrats can win local races and bring the change we need to St. Mary’s County!
We’re looking to increase our grassroots donations through our Skipjack Circle program. With your small dollar monthly donation, we can help our candidates get a running start with their campaign. By donating, you’re helping us fund campaign kickoff materials like yard and roadside signs, advertising, an official candidate guide and more! Click the image below for more information, and set up your monthly donation today!
Remember, any amount helps, even just $1 a month.
The St. Mary’s County NAACP is hosting it’s 4th Annual Back to School Fair at John G. Lancaster Park on August 14th from 12-3PM. At their last fair in 2019 they were able to distribute 500 backpacks and supplies to students. They’re looking for donations to support this drive. For more information, please visit https://stmarysnaacp.org/back-to-school
Do you have an event or announcement you’d like to include in our newsletter? Please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/1ksXZRuP2XNYWveLA
Do you like this page?