Spring is slowly making itself known! Can you believe the high temperature for today is 80 degrees?!
We’ve been working hard keeping local democrats very busy, just like any other election year!
Due to legal challenges with the legislative and congressional redistricting maps, the candidate filing deadline has been delayed to March 22, 2022! We are still looking for people to run for office, so if you are interested please reach out!
If you aren’t ready to run for office, but still want to help, consider joining a candidate committee to help with a particular campaign! This is your chance to make a difference, so reach out to us at [email protected] for more information!
Democratic Central Committee
Save the date! This year our Skipjack Gala fundraiser will be on April 8th at Historic St. Mary’s City! Our keynote speaker is Senator Chris Van Hollen, and we will also hear from Maryland Democratic Party Chair Yvette Lewis!
Don’t miss this opportunity to support the local Democratic Party and have a good time doing so! Get your tickets here: St. Mary's County Democratic Central Committee (MD) — Donate via ActBlue
We’re looking for nominations for Democrat of the Year. Fill out this form to nominate a local Democrat for this award! (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfo3vhYgyST86x2PwNwGm0twLzXpdHW8tjjlKY_hMDrTvBVkg/viewform)
Wes Moore with St. Mary's Democrats Chair Caroline King.
Wes Moore addresses a group of local Democrats.
Wes Moore with candidate for commissioner Brandon Russell.
Wes Moore, candidate for governor, held an event at St. Inie’s on February 12th. Many local democrats attended this event to hear about Moore’s vision for Maryland.
Commissioner Candidates Steve Tuttle and Brandon Russell traveled to the Eastern Shore last week to attend the opening of the Kent County YMCA. While there, they spoke with members of the YMCA team about plans for a Y in St. Mary’s County. They also spoke with Governor Larry Hogan about the excitement around bringing a Y to the county, and the hope that the state can commit funding to assist with the project.
The Primary Election is just a few months away on June 28th, with the General Election on November 8th! We’re going to need all the help we can get to build a strong and successful democratic presence in St. Mary’s County. One of the easiest ways you can help is to join our recurring donor program, Skipjack Circle.
Members have already enjoyed exclusive benefits (read more here: https://www.stmarysdemocrats.org/skipjack_circle) over the past year–so don’t miss out! One of the perks for donors at the Potomac and Chesapeake Levels are tickets to the Skipjack Gala–so join now ahead of the Gala this April! Visit our donation page to join, and don’t forget to make your donation recur monthly!
- March 8th, Ashwani Jain will have his mobile office in the county. He will be at Chaptico Park (26600 Budds Creek Rd.) from 10-11AM, and at John G. Lancaster Park (21550 Willows Rd.) from 3-4PM.
- Skipjack Gala will be held on April 8th 2022.
The next Democratic Club meeting will be on March 21st, at 7PM. The meeting will be held virtually. Please email Julia Nichols for information on joining the meeting. [email protected]
You may now pay your dues online. Annual dues are $25 for an individual and $35 for a family. To join, renew, or make a donation to the club online please visit St. Mary’s Democratic Club Paypal [https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/stmarysdemclub] .
When paying, please include your email address and indicate whether you are a new or renewing member.
You can also mail a check to:
St. Mary’s County Democratic Club
PO BOX 631
Leonardtown, MD 20650
Delegate Brian Crosby
This week marked the eighth week of the 2022 session. We continued debate and voting on the House floor and pushed to get bills through committees before the crossover deadline later this month.
- I am happy to support and co-sponsor HB1187, a bipartisan bill that gives the counties back their share of highway user revenues.
- HB288 and HB282 both passed the house this week. These bills will exempt baby products and diapers, respectively, from MD Sales and Use Tax, and will ease the burden of taxes on all working families.
- On Thursday March 3rd, the House passed my bill, HB54, which will give St. Mary's College of Maryland the same cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) as the rest of the state's public higher education institutions. For years, SMCM employees have only received half of the state's COLA. It has been an honor to work with the SMCM employees spearheading this effort, and we look forward to full passage.
- I presented HB1228 to the House Environment and Transportation Committee. It will provide a major boost to our oyster population and commit Maryland to the goal of five billion spat on shell produced annually by 2025.
We are planning our mid-session Town Hall. In this virtual forum, we will give an update on this year's progress in Annapolis and take constituent questions. Please register here.
Our School Year 2022-23 College Scholarship application is still open! If you or someone you love will be attending a Maryland college next year and lives in MD House District 29B, apply now! The application is here, and students can check their legislative districts here. Applications are due on March 15!
Do you have an event or announcement you’d like to include in our newsletter? Please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/1ksXZRuP2XNYWveLA
Do you like this page?